There are many traces of early Christian settlements scattered throughout the parish. The most famous of these is Church Island located on Loch Currane with what remains of a Romanesque style church. Both St.Fionán and St. Malachy have association with this island which is also called Inis Uasal or Oileán a'Teampaill. The graveyard on the island was used up to the 1950's.
The remains of the oldest church may be seen in the Old Cemetery in Slahig, Dromod. This church originally had a thatched roof but was burned down and later rebuilt by local people.
Around 1812, a new church was built at Mastergeehy to replace this old one and Mastergeehy church was the only church in the parish until 1864. People had to walk there using the mass path over the mountain from the east of the parish.
It had three galleries and one was used as a classroom for teaching local children until the school was built nearby in 1847.
St. Finian's church was built circa 1856. This was re-roofed, refurbished and reopened on the feast of Naomh Fionán the 16th March, 1959. His statue is in the front of the church and overlooks the cemetery.
There is an oratory in the village where masses are said during the summer months. This oratory was once a "Lace School" where local girls and women were taught the art of lace making in post-famine years.
This was demolished and a new oratory build in the early 1970's.
A new church was built in Cillín Liath and dedicated to Our Lady of the Valley in 1990. The stained glass window of Our Lady that was above the altar in Mastergeehy church is now in the new church of Our Lady in Cillín Liath as a symbol of continuity, as well as the altar rails, which now adorn the rear of the new altar. There was much regret about leaving Mastergeehy church, a place hallowed by the worship and prayers of generations who kept faith during difficult times. Past traditions like mass paths and 'glas na mban' deserve remembrance.
At the entrance to Waterville village stands St. Michael and All Angles Church of Ireland which was consecrated on Michaelmas Day, 29th September, 1886.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.