At one time, there were six schools in the parish of Dromod - St. Finian's in Spunkane and Cill MhicCiaran, Máistir Gaoithe, Caisleach, Derriana and Cathair Sabhaín.
Derriana school closed on 30th June, 1968. Pádraig Breathnach (Principal in Caisleach school) retired on the last day and Mrs Curran (the Principal in Derriana school) transferred to Caisleach with her 9 pupils. (approx). She taught there with Kathleen O'Shea until June/July 1973.
Cill Mhic Ciaran school closed in 1969 and the children then got transport to Máistir Gaoithe school.
On 1st September, 1973 the new Cillín Liath school opened with an amalgamation of the three existing schools - Caisleach, Máistir Gaoithe and Cathair Sabhaín.
The vocational school in Waterville, built in 1940's was incorporated into the new Coláiste na Sceilge school in Cahirciveen.